n95 Map Loader Problem – Solved!
Today I spent a lot of time playing with my phone. I sent geotagged photos using Shozu to my flickr account while being near access point’s (hot-spot’s) in Plaza shoping centres in Rybnik.
When I returned home I had another thing to do. My maps hadn’t been working yet, so I had to download the new ones.
First I got Nokia Maps Upgrade for n95 and Nokia Map Loader for my PC, from: http://europe.nokia.com/A4509291
If you don’t have that piece of shit which is Microsoft dotNET Framework in version 3.0, you’ll get a popup that you have to download that.
Install and run all the apps.
And this is where trouble begins. After opening Map Loader I’ve got a popup “The map data on your device is not compatible with the map data available through Nokia Map Loader” and the only thing that I could download to my phone was the navigation voice.
After half an hour I found a solution. On drive E: of your phone (memory card) you’ll find a file called simply ‘qf‘. Edit it with a notepad. I don’t know if it stores also some extra information about the phone so I won’t show here mine, but the only thing you have to do is to change voice_mode into map_mode in this file.
Save it and try again sending maps onto the phone. Mine works excelent🙂
I’ve almost forget: I’m using the upgraded nokia maps 1.2 on my phone.
[UPDATE: 13.12.2007] 9 steps to heaven
Installing Nokia Maps on your n95/n95 8gb – algorithm that leads to 100% success.
(You can try to omit the point 1 & 2 on the beginning – if it won’t work turn back to point 1 and do the whole procedure)
1. Format your memory card.
2. Format your phone with code *#7370#
3. Install Nokia Maps Upgrade for n95 from http://europe.nokia.com/A4509291 – (if you have n95 8gb with firmware v11 or n95 with firmware v20 probably no update is needed)
4. Run once program Maps from phone menu and turn it off
5. Connect your phone by USB in Mass Storage mode
6. Run Nokia Map Loader on your computer ( download it from http://europe.nokia.com/A450929 )
7. Select the maps that you are interested in and hit download. Wait to the end of the process. Turn of Nokia Maps Loader
8. Click the green icon near your system clock and use safe unplug function to unplug your device properly.
9. Start your Nokia Maps app on your phone and enjoy high quality maps!
Filed under: Blog Technical, Nokia N95 | 41 Comments
Tags: 8gb, install, maps, n95, nokia, poland, problem, solution