Solution: VS C++ 2008 “Project creation failed” bug
God damn. I took me about a half of an hour to Google that out…
Things to do to fix Visual Studio C++ Express (Probably in most cases you don’t have to delete those entries first. (worked for me)):
- Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Run, and type “RegEdit.exe”
- Locate the following folder/key: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.9.0″
- Right click -> Permissions -> Advanced -> Owner (Should be getting alot of “No permission to do that” likely-errors)
- Click one time on “Administrators”, then click “OK”.
- Expand “VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.9.0″, Right Click CLSID and do the same. (Do that to all subfolders which is under “VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.9.0″ aswell, if any.)
- Right Click “VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.9.0″ and click “Delete”, choose yes if you get an confirmation window.
- Right Click “VsWizard.WizCombo.9.0″ and set permissions for that folder and subfolders, and delete that one too.
- If everything went fine, you shouldn’t have any folder called “VsWizard.WizCombo.9.0″ or “VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.9.0″ anymore.
- Goto: Start-> All Programs -> Accessories, Right Click “Command Promt” and click “Run as administrator”.
- Navigate to your Microsoft Visual Studio IDE folder, by using the “cd” command. (usually “cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE”)
- Type “RegSvr32.exe VsWizard.dll”. You should get a window telling that you’ve registered that dll file (or something like that).
- Start RegEdit.exe again (if you haven’t), and locate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.9.0″. This should have been added again.
- Right Click -> Permissions, you should see “Administrators” and “SYSTEM” or something, click them both and enable Full Control and Read.
- Do the same for subfolders (should’ve been done automatically), and then do it for “VsWizard.WizCombo.9.0″ and subfolders, which should’ve been added again.
- Close RegEdit.exe
- Start the version of visual studio you have, create a new project, and watch how it works!
uff… I hate Microsoft software…
Filed under: Informatics, Programming, Tips | 39 Comments
Tags: 2008, bug, c++, microsoft, project creation failed, solution, studio, visual, vs